The department of Physics in Loyola College was established in 1926, just one year after the college was founded, to offer physics course for the intermediate program. From the humble beginning, it has grown in leaps and bounds to stand tall today, offering B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. programs in Physics. During an academic year, it caters to the academic needs of more than 500 students specializing in Physics, around 300 students through allied courses and another 150 students through elective courses. So far the department has produced more than 200 M.Phil. Scholars and 42 research scholars have obtained their doctorate degree.
Presently there are 27 teaching staff and 9 nonteaching staff in the department. Of the 27 teaching staff, 12 hold Ph.D. degree in Physics. There are 7 research guides under whom more than 45 scholars are registered for their Ph.D. degree. The areas of research being carried out in the department are, Solid State Physics, Crystal growth and characterisation, NLO Studies, Organic Semiconductors, Polymers and Thin films.
There are about 400 books in the department library. The department has very well equipped laboratories for conducting all its programs. There are 2 laboratories for UG, 1 for PG, 1 for M.Phil., 3 for research and a spacious workshop.
Successive list of Heads
1926 – 1955 : Prof V. Somasundaram
1955 – 1976 : Prof. C.C. Ouseph
1976 – 1992 : Rev. Dr. Joseph Inchackal, SJ
1992 – 1995 : Dr. A. William
1995 – 1999 : Prof. S. Ravichandran
1999 – 2004 : Dr. S. Xavier Jesu Raja
2004 – 2009 : Dr. A. Ramanand
2009 – 2014 : Dr. Joe Jesudurai