Professor R. V. SARMA was assisted in his work by MR. S. NARAYANAN, a graduate from St. Joseph’s College, Triuchirapalli, who worked as a demonstrator for over 40 years until his retirement in 1967. The number of intermediate students increased to 80 in 1930; 96 in 1932 and 144 in 1934. Within a few years there were four sections of intermediate classes, each containing 80 students.
In 1956 the two-year intermediate course was replaced by the present PRE-UNIVERSITY class. Soon the number of PUC students reached its peak of over 400, divided into five sections.
In 1938 the B.Sc. degree course with Chemistry as the main subject was begun with Professor P.C. RAMACHANDRA IYER as the new Head of the Department. Like Professor R. V. SARMA AND MR. S. NARAYANAN, he too came from St. Joseph’s College, Triuchirapalli on the special invitation of REV. FR. L. D. MURPHY, S.J., the then Principal of Loyola College. The first set of B.Sc. Students was 24 in number. The department was moved to a separate building. The two buildings on the western side of the main block, which at Zoology and Botany departments were then, used as temporary laboratories and classrooms for the Chemistry students. Later the number of B.Sc. Students was increased to 48. In 1957 with the introduction of the PUC course in place of the intermediate, the two-year B.Sc. course had to be changed into a three-year programme.