The Department of Social Work was established by Rev. Fr. Devasia, S.J., in 1954 as the Institute of Social Science. It came into existence in the year 1957 offering a Diploma course in Social Science that lasted till 1963. In 1964, a full-fledged two-year Post-Graduate programme in Social Work was introduced with three specializations, which in the later years branched into five. In 1994, the specialization titled "Welfare of the Marginalized" was the first of its kind in the country. Specialization in "Human Rights" was started in the academic year 2003-2004. The department aims to promote a spirit of inquiry and professional ethics to work at different levels for sustainable development in line with the Ignatian paradigm of preparing women and men for and with others.
Formation of social work professionals towards a just and equitable society.
To train competent, committed and compassionate social work professionals
To understand and respond to vulnerable communities through inclusion, innovation and collaboration towards transformation